Friday, July 31, 2009

Ferber Baby

I got pretty frustrated recently with people insisting that babies should definitely sleep for 12 hours by 3 months (NO, they do not!) and that I should love rocking my baby to sleep 20 times, at all hours of the night, or morning rather. Of course, I treasure rocking him while he's sleeping and cuddly. It's the best thing ever. But I do not treasure it after the tenth time or at 4:00am.

Then Noah just lost his coping skills this week. Or something. After 2 nights of him crying for 2 hours, rocking, crying inconsolably, until he finally wore himself out and stayed asleep, it was clear that he needed us to do something else. (Not to mention that he slept a fabulous 8 hours after all this crying.)

My new books finally arrived this week. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth and Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Richard Ferber. I especially like the Weissbluth book. (Thanks, Kerry!) It explains everything without telling you which of the various methods are right for you. Every pregnant woman needs to study this! I only read through a borrowed copy briefly before Noah was born, but at least I had some forethought of what might go on. Sleep is a terribly complicated thing it seems and most infants need help learning how to do it properly. Otherwise, you just endure months or years of sleep problems.

Anyway, we started with the Ferber method last night and Noah cried for an hour and a half before finally wearing himself out. We checked on him at 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, and then every 10 minutes. It only took 45 minutes for his morning nap today. It is the hardest thing ever though. I picked him up a few times last night (even though you aren't supposed to) just to calm him a bit. Sigh. We got through it. Of course, last night I dreamed that 2 people made CPS reports on me because they said Noah had injuries resulting from abuse.

Last weekend, Noah had some firsts! He went to the church nursery for the first time and went to a restaurant for the first time. We went out to Blue Goose with my family to celebrate our upcoming birthdays. He did great with both!

I am very excited that Jeremy and I are celebrating our birthday this weekend! We're going to dinner at Cuba Libre and spending the night at the Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas. Jeremy's parents are staying the night with Noah, which I am feeling guilty about since we just started the sleep training stuff. But it should be fun and I can't even imagine what a whole uninterrupted night of sleep will be like! I am packing the Benadryl just in case. :) Oh, and Saturday morning, Noah and his cousins are having their pictures made together to celebrate Mamaw's birthday that day.

Lots to blog about! We visited the pediatrician yesterday for a little diarrhea check (he is fine) and now weighs right at 14 pounds. Latest pics:








The product of a good night's sleep ;)


4 comments:

Tina said...

Awwww....Amy that is so frustrating! Hang in there, I don't want to say anything, because I hate that (like you said) and I wouldn't want to feel like I'm telling a story or giving unwanted advice, but hang in there...it will get better! I'm impressed that he's in his own room at 3 months...took us to month 6 with BWO.
And by the way: I have no idea how those two got on the couch in my picture...I don't have any other pictures like that, I think I ran upstairs to get the camera to make sure I did snap that magic moment...lol :)

Colored With Memories said...

aw...that video is precious!!!

hope those books are helping...

also, i forgot until i saw this video. i need to admit that we started sleeping lily on her tummy at 5 weeks and did it with jade probably at 5 days. awful, i know! i did confess it to my pedi though...they seemed to sleep so much better that way. their arms didn't flail about and they were able to find their thumbs easier.

just a confession!

Sarah said...

I just wanted to tell you Noah's pic in the Paris news (I read it online) was so precious! I didn't know they did that.
Anyway, I think Tina said it best. It does get better. Ava is 5 months and we just started putting her in her room 3 weeks ago. All is going well now, but teething hasn't started yet!lol, I'll let ya know how that is when we get there.

Colored With Memories said...

cuba libre...mmm...one of our faves! how was it? happy birthday to you both!