Saturday, July 11, 2009

Three Months Old!

Wow! We made it out of the "fourth trimester" and we're on our way to happy baby days and nights of ease! Right? I sure thought so last week! But something happened over this past week leading up to the three month. After a week of great naps and sleeping at least 8 hours straight at night, Noah reverted to sleeping only around 5 hours this week and refusing to nap. He won't fall asleep in the swing anymore and eventually I just have to wrestle the crying, exhausted child to sleep and insist that he stay in bed for a while. Putting him down is never easy (we just laid him down for the 6th time to go to bed tonight) but we are fortunate that once he finally settles in, he actually does stay asleep until he needs to eat again. I read somewhere that if a baby is completely thrown off by minor disruptions to his routine, it means they aren't getting enough sleep.

I am worried because Noah starts child care (somewhere) in a little more than a month and I am certain it will be a shock to him when they refuse to cater to his every whim. Maybe we need to start letting him cry so he can fall asleep on his own and not have a double culture shock when the time comes? I still have not established where he is going to stay while I work. It looks like our only option may be the day care at the hospital where Jeremy works. Sometimes when I rock him to sleep, I think about leaving him there and get all teary-eyed. I always said I would never put my baby in a day care but you do what you have to.

We don't have any stats for this month since there was no doctor's appointment (lucky for him!). When he's rested and happy, Noah is becoming more fun all the time. The boy smiles with his whole body when he is excited. He is getting more and more interested in his toys and is able to hold onto a rattle for a few minutes at a time occasionally. He loves to play and interact with us and prefers to be the center of the show. He is eating up to 6.5 ounces at a time now, which I have heard is a lot for such a little guy! And he's pretty darn cute!

Cute shots with Dad:


This is us trying out his new baby pool and swim trunks that Mimi bought him when she visited this week. As you can see, it was not a hit at first.

But then it got a bit better....



And finally, this strange, cool bath was a little more fun than he originally thought! we will probably wait until he can sit up by himself before we try again!










1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, he's a cutie! I am really having trouble with Ava's new sleep issues as well. She only wants to sleep like 15-30 minutes a nap. Ugh, it't brutal! I guess it's a never ending learning journey.