Monday, July 20, 2009

Tour de Paris


Last weekend, the Barclay bunch journeyed to good old Paris, Texas. Jeremy and I had plans to ride in the Tour de Paris bicycle rally on Saturday morning, but this was also an experiment. We needed to see how Noah would do with another attempt at a road trip.


The answer...not too badly! He cried off and on for about an hour before finally giving up and crashing on the way there. We arrived just in time for dinner and then putting a fussy baby to bed! My mom had plans for Noah to sleep in the antique baby cradle that generations of our family has slept in. (In case you haven't noticed, the woman is obsessed with old stuff. Just don't ask her about genealogy.) I was more than a little skeptical, concerned about safety and certain that he would not stay asleep in it. I put him down in it asleep and waited. And waited. The kid did not make a peep. He slept from about 7:30pm to 5:00am on the nose! I could not believe it. I'm pretty sure that was his best stretch yet. And of course, I could not sleep. One, because Jeremy and I were squished in a full-size bed when we are used to a king, and two, I kept listening for Noah to wake up and had to go check on him to make sure he was alright! Of course, since returning home, he added back an extra feeding, pushing it back to 2:40am this morning. You can just hear my mom saying, "It was that cradle, Amy! He really likes it."


Saturday morning Jeremy and I took the old bikes out to the Civic Center and rode in the 15K race. I don't know why but 10 miles on a bike sounds pretty simple to me. I was so worn out and my bum is still recovering! (My super athlete husband was totally bored by this.) But we were blessed with a beautiful, pleasant morning and I can say that I finished the race! I wanted to go buy some more Paris Vineyards wine but was too tired. :)
Sorry, we didn't take many pictures to commemorate the event. I was super tired by the time we got home Saturday evening. Noah cried slightly less on the way home. Good car seat training! Unfortunately, he wakes up as soon as you get off the highway and get caught by a stoplight or sign. Luckily, the trip is just long enough that we can feed him, put him in the car, and arrive just in time for the next feeding. We concluded that we probably need to travel more often to get get Noah used to it.
Thanks for all the prayers and advice, my sweet friends! I don't even mind it these days. I will have to start the sleep training soon to get Noah ready for his new babysitter! Praise the Lord, we found someone who comes highly recommended that we can actually afford. She plans to come to our house, at least at first, and will bring her own 14 month old with her.
Have a great week!

4 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

Yippy for Noah on the Road Trip and Yippy for the new Nanny. I am very proud of you for ridding a bike 10 miles. You have come along way since our walks around the block. We took Caroline to the Abilene Zoo this weekend. I saw are old apartment (good times) and gave a guns up to old HSU. You take a road trip any time to come and see me so that Noah can get use to the car. I think we are about 4 or 5 hours away. Miss you. Noah has gotten so big and handsome.

Natalie said...

Glad you found a babysitter!

Sarah said...

Yay for a Nanny! I think that is definitely what I would do if I was going back to work! Sorry you didn't get to hit up Paris winery, it's our favorite wine. We live out here with all of these wineries and I love the one in Paris best of all! Oh, and good job on the bike race, sounds like a lot of fun!

Jon Wendy and Madison said...

I didn't realize you weren't using the baby cradle...Madison slept wonderfully in it!!

I was honored to use it. Old is not necessarily a bad thing.

Glad you found someone to watch Noah.