Monday, March 2, 2009

What I Love About Pregnancy

I know, you must be shocked by the title of this one. I have to admit that women who talk about how much they love being pregnant puzzle me. Confound me. Completely bamboozle me. You get the idea. Maybe their experience has been vastly different from mine and if so, maybe I should be jealous. Maybe they just got out easy. I am especially befuddled by Jim Bob and Michelle of Springdale, Arkansas who just welcomed their 18th child. Pregnancy is hard on the body, people!

But I realize that I have shared a lot about my complaints and the symptoms I have experienced. So here is a list of what has been great about it and the symptoms I have been pleased to avoid. :)
  1. Sonograms. There is nothing better than watching my baby wiggle around and get mad at us for the invasion of privacy. I literally can't stop smiling while I watch him.
  2. Baby kicks. Sometimes I just have to giggle at his excited movements. I have noticed that if I push in a particular area, he will sometimes kick back at the spot I'm pushing. (Noah, I hate to tell you but you need to adjust to your space becoming increasingly limited for a while.) I know I will miss his movements.
  3. Being amazed at my body. You know I had this old bod for almost exactly 28 years before Noah began to take shape inside of it. Let me tell you, it never did anything miraculous before this. I am amazed that it just knows what to do and how to respond.
  4. Watching Jeremy be amazed. He laughs at my expanding belly, checks to see how I'm feeling, shakes my stomach to try and get Noah to kick for him. He's making the transition to Dad.
  5. Getting to know this little guy. Nobody else has that advantage but me at this point. We are together 24/7. Nobody else knows if he's sleeping or playing or irritated with me for squishing him.
  6. Pants with zippers are highly overrated.
  7. People are just nicer. I get so many random smiles because of my belly. People apologize for getting in my way and even pick up things I have clumsily dropped. :)
  8. Buying baby stuff and getting everything ready for him.
  9. I may have had some unpleasant side effects, but I have been blessed with a very normal, healthy pregnancy. Here's to smooth sailing! And last but not least...
  10. At least I have managed to avoid the stretch marks so far!

3 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

You will for sure miss stretchy pants.

Melanie Lee said...

Awww the little things! I have to be a little jealous! I'm so stinkin excited for you! I can't wait to meet little Noah!

Joanna said...

This was nice - I'm totally one of those people that smile at random pregnant ladies. I can't help it, you all are just so CUTE!