Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Story of Noah

I have had people ask, so I wanted to take a moment to explain where we got the name Noah.

A few years ago, long before I met Jeremy (I estimate late 2005 or early 2006) I was a part of a ladies church group that read a trilogy of Christian historical fiction novels together. I know, sounds a little dull, but they were really fantastic; we were all addicted! (Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers.) Anyway...

In the last book, one of the characters is explaining the story of the gospel to someone by summarizing the entire Old Testament. So I'm reading along and come to:

"The Lord was sorry he had made man and decided to blot him out as well as the animals and all creeping things he had created...Only one creature found favor in God's sight, a man named Noah."

In the weeks preceding this, that name kept popping up, and when I read this some kind of lightbulb went off. In that moment, I just "knew" that someday I would have a son and should call him Noah. I understand that this is a bit of a stretch. Trust me, at that particular period in my life, I was pretty unsure as to whether or not marriage was even going to happen. So I had plenty of doubts along the way but never lost that "knowing", if you will. I put it in the back of my mind until I found myself "with child". :)

Luckily, Jeremy loves the name too. We still remain undecided on the middle name. Both of Jeremy's grandparents have made a point to clearly tell Jeremy that they do not like our choice of name, which makes us laugh. I have been known to argue with God but I'm just not going to on this one. My aunt pointed out that at least we didn't pick Moses. And I don't want any Noah's Ark themed nursery items. We can't beat the poor kid over the head with it after all. :)

"But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord... Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God." Genesis 6:8-9 ESV

2 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

Christopher for a middle name. Noah Christopher Barclay. Tell me you don't love it.

Elle said...

I love Noah! You know how I feel about names. Having been dubbed bitterness from the grey stronghold....it just matters to me! ;) Grandparents are often dissapointed in the names we chose because they don't ring right in their ears because of the generation gap. I understand because I'm not particularly drawn to Effy, Fanny, or Ernest. I realize they were lovely names in the early 1900's and that's great, but just didn't like them for my baby, but my gramma nearly disowned me for not including Fanny in Donnia's name. Oh well, in the end they don't care what the baby's name is anyhow, they just love em'! ;)