Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nose to the Grindstone

A group of people can't really love you until you've bled in front of them, right??

So last night, Noah and I head off to our new "missional community group", also known as "life groups" or "home groups" by other churches. Our church is really focused on living life together and living on mission. I guess the Lord brought a little of the blood and guts of living together to last night's gathering, so to speak.

Anyway, this was the second meeting we had attended (Jeremy was working late last night and not able to come). The leaders put on a cookout in their front yard. This was great, except for trying to keep Noah away from the street. Toward the end of the evening, Noah is chasing some other kids around the yard and I turn to look at someone for about 3 seconds. When I look back, he is standing at the street corner calmly observing the SUV turning the corner right in front of him. I yell his name in my very best panicked mama voice, rush over, and lead him by the hand back into the driveway, deciding that it is time to go home. Already apprehensive about going by myself to a front yard cookout, I fed Noah and myself in advance, knowing I would not be able to take my eyes off him to worry about food.

So I lean over to pick Noah up and he jumps up at the same time, ramming his head into my nose. I hear my nose "pop" and blood comes gushing out, the likes of which I have never seen from my own body. Noah starts to whine about bumping his head and I think, "Oh no, kid. You are not going to complain about this one when you just broke your mother's nose!" I drag him by the hand over to our group leader, say her name, and she says, "Oh!" when she sees me and leads me into the house. As I pass, people are saying "Oh my gosh." I drip blood everywhere, while trying to corral my two-year-old, who refuses to leave my side and go play with the teenage babysitters. And all the while, my husband is texting and calling me, trying to properly assess the situation and determine whether its logical for him to come pick up Noah or not. My text stating "Come get Noah now, I think he just broke my nose" was not evidence enough, mind you. Ha! I can laugh now. Christy was extremely gracious helping me mop up, filling me with ibuprofen, and insisting I take one of her holey dishrags home with me to bleed on, giving me a "mom" hug, and walking us to the car. Noah and I made it home safely and I managed to dry up the tears and bloodshed at about the same time. :)

I am thankful and relieved to report no swelling or bruising, and though my nose is still a bit sore, I do not think it was broken! Most of all, I am thankful for God's protection of Noah, besides my nose!

In other news, I think my Canon Powershot, right at 3 years old, is officially down and out. I think I have a few pictures and videos that I need to download from the memory card before I toss the camera. We never got a good case for it, and I think my tossing it in my purse with Noah's milk cup and whatever else that lives in that hole has been its downfall. Boo. While I do want a new camera, with a real zoom lens, I do not really want to pay what one of those costs right now. Any recommendations?

1 comment:

Alli said...

Oh my! Glad everyone is okay!