Friday, September 30, 2011

Grandparent Day

For me, September 30th is a day to remember my grandparents, all of whom have gone on to heaven now.

September 30th was my Grandma's birthday, and it was also the day we laid her to rest six years ago. She died just a couple of months after her sister, my great-aunt "Dopey", who might as well have been a grandparent too. From time to time, these ladies come to my mind, and I think of all the questions I would like ask them now, in my somewhat more mature state. Whenever they wander into my mind, I imagine that they must be praying for me at that moment. :) I know they did their fair share of that on earth and I am always thankful for it. They gave me my first church experiences. My aunt visited my Sunday school teacher at work to pray in joy after I first believed. I think about how many hours they lovingly and selflessly cared for their silly, rambunctious bunch of grandkids. I immensely wish I would have spent more time as an adult getting to know them better. They loved us all equally and sacrificially. They loved us just as we were. I am forever grateful. My Grandpa on my dad's side passed when I was about two years old and unfortunately I have no memories of him.

This day is also the one year anniversary of my Pop's passing. He left us just a couple of months after my grandmother, his wife, Nanna passed. His mission was over. So this day ends up bringing all of them to mind. They all had their strengths, as well as weaknesses, and all had such an impact on my life. I eagerly look forward to seeing them again one day!

1 comment:

Alli said...

Such a sweet tribute! I think of Grandma & Dopey often & know that they'd get such a kick out of seeing all of our kids running around. I'm thankful for the memories we have of them!