Saturday, January 29, 2011

What's the Word, Thunderbird?

I love Google. I wanted to use something to title my post about the latest everyday happenings of the Barclays that was a little more original than my "Morning Glory" title. So I googled "What's the word..." and came up with the rest of that saying (I guess) that I could not recall. Smile.

So we survived the move and I'm back with an update to entertain the masses, since I have been reminded that people need something to do to fend off boredom. Not naming any names but...ahem, Terry.

We got out of the hotel and into a rental home just north of Cedar Park, in Leander. If you are thinking of DFW, and Austin is like Dallas, then Cedar Park is like Plano or Frisco, and Leander is like umm...Wylie. There is a Kohl's, Lowe's, and humongous HEB Plus. There are a few fast food places, but mostly we end up driving the 10 minutes into Cedar Park everyday so far. We think the house is great. We're happy to be back in a one-story (no more two-stories, I'm over it!) and we were relieved to find a place that was clean, freshly painted (not white), with brand new carpet, and new appliances, all within the price range we were shooting at. And it's got 4 bedrooms. None of the other places we viewed shared these qualities. Anyway, who knows when I will get pictures posted.

We are pretty well settled in except for finishing up the decor. I still have pictures to hang and we are waiting on reinforcements to hang the curtains, since neither Jeremy or I can stand that. It is challenging with a toddler who gets bored easily to get everything done quickly. I really miss his baby-sitter mornings! We have visited a Mother's Day Out program and I made contact with another lady who does child care out of her home but I am holding off since Noah seems to be adjusting a bit slowly here.

You know how toddlers are. Or maybe you don't. Let's just say that a new sippy cup (he chewed through the spout in his beloved silicone Munchkin cups) or a new brand of oatmeal (can't find his Earth's Best Maple & Brown Sugar with Elmo on the box anywhere--if you see some, drop me a line) are both reasons to have a meltdown in the morning. The kind where you intentionally hit your head on the tile or wall, throw yourself backwards, etc. Life is frustrating when you are 21 months old. So, I should have expected this transition might be harder than past ones. But even in September he bounced back well from our week of travel to Texas. He is doing better now but I still haven't seen him go to bed at 8:30pm and sleep until 7:30am AND take 3 hour naps. Most of those naps have been an hour and a half lately with him waking up in the morning at 6:30am or so. Which used to cause him to sleep later the next morning when his nap was short, but no more. I am holding out hope that everything will return to its former glory one of these days. All I can figure is that it's noisier here with street noise, so I am trying out a fan today in addition to the sound machine. :p

I have been hitting the gym as much as I can to get ready for our big cruise coming up in March with our friends, the Nutts. Although Noah hates the day care and it seems to be traumatic for him, we saw a little improvement during our last visit. We also started Kindermusik last week and he loves it, once he realizes that I am not going to leave him. That is our Wednesday morning activity. I went to meetup.com and found a local playgroup for 2009 kiddos that meets for various activities during the week and we tried that on Friday. We went to a park and had fun meeting some new folks. That's a great thing around here, parks everywhere! Noah is really enjoying that aspect.

We are LOVING the mild weather and get outside everyday that we can. This morning, the three of us went to check out Brushy Creek Park. We did some running on the trails around the lake and let Noah swing for a while. We are already scoping out Craigslist for a BOB jogging stroller and bike trailer. Going to live it up in Austin! (Until the 100+ degree temps arrive, then I'm out for a while.) We also drove out to see the "entrance" to the Hill Country. Not so unlike WV, just a little smaller mountains. And we are visiting a new church every week now until we find The One. Hopefully that will happen soon. I am excited to get involved. We are really happy to be home. Jeremy tells me every other day how much he loves it here. We are going to try to stay longer than the average 18 months to 3 years that a COO typically spends at a hospital. We are in no hurry to go anywhere this time!

Whew! Sorry, I haven't taken too many pics lately and I'm all out of steam now. Enjoy this wonderful weekend!

No comments: