Thursday, April 1, 2010

Betty Crocker, I Am Not

I have spent the last two days preparing cupcakes for Noah's 1st Birthday pictures tomorrow. I am taking him to the Olan Mills in our Kmart here in Lewisburg and hope they will turn out well. I want the pics of him digging into his first bite of cake and this is going to be it.

I made a sort of healthy, low sugar cake batter recipe that I found online. It's okay, and Noah won't know that he is missing something anyway. The cream cheese frosting recipe I found is pretty yummy though. And less sugar than most recipes. Now don't worry, he is getting his very own "real" cake at his party. For some reason, people seem to be annoyed that I want to avoid giving him so much sugar. It's just that I have worked hard to keep him healthy and put good things in him for his whole life now. And knowing the sweet junkies that his dad and I are, I'd just like to extend the healthiness a bit. (Have I mentioned that he is not having pizza or chicken nuggets until he's like, hmm 10? Just going to avoid those battles completely!) :P

So back to the point of this post: my awful cake decorating abilities. Here is what happened when I piped icing onto the cupcakes. I'm sure there are many reasons this went wrong.


So I just smoothed them out and added sprinkles. No one will know the difference in the photos. And these will be the tastiest things Noah has ever eaten. :)

6 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

Cute cupcakes. We also do not give Caroline many sweets. The good thing is she really does not like them. We tried and tried to get her to eat cake at a birthday party and she was happy just eating gold fish. She also does not like chicken nuggets she like chicken just not nuggets. She does like pizza but, we do not have it that often. We just want to avoid the battles as well. She still get watered down juice, really watered down. Our friends think we are weird too.

The Nutt House said...

I think it's wonderful that you are staying true to a healthy diet for Noah. Our goal with Rylie is going to be the same...no sugars and no fast foods for as long as we possibly can avoid it! Childhood obesity in america is getting out of control, we all need to be more aware of what we put in our kids mouths. (OMG...I'm starting to sound like a MOM!!!)

The Nutt House said...

BTW....those cupcakes look delish, I'll take 4. :)

Alli said...

I happen to think that cupcakes are one of the harder desserts to make pretty. They're very cute & will look great in the pics. Can't wait to see you soon!

Jon Wendy and Madison said...

Don't say "I won't...say I will try hard"... Madison doesn't eat sweets very often 2 diabetics in the house we don't have them very often they are treats - she goes LOVE cake like I do. We do not eat fast food hardly at all, it is so rare I can't think of the last time. She LOVEs Dinosaur chicken nuggets, chicken, and pizza, but that is not the ONLY thing she eats. I got her to eat salad not long ago and she really likes it. I am not that concerned she eats healthy food 90% of the time, and eating a chicken nugget or pizza here and there is not going to bother her she is so active. The only thing I can say she doesn't like is Tomatoes (go figure Erwins!!) and she used to love green beans but I can't get her to eat them now.

I think if you get your children to eat healthy 90% of the time and make that 10% special treats they don't crave the bad stuff often enough for it to matter.

Jon Wendy and Madison said...

BTW...she hates hamburgers and will always choose a fruit cup over fries EVERYTIME...thats my girl!