Monday, January 11, 2010

Respite


Respite. A delay or cessation for a time, especially of anything distressing or trying; an interval of relief. Also the new color of my dining room. What's funny to me about that is that in a former job of mine, respite basically meant that when the foster parents needed a break, the kids went to stay with another set of foster parents for a weekend or however long their family needed a break. And boy, did they need a respite, as defined above.

We would like a respite too. Just an island getaway for a few days, an escape from the cold and the snow. I long to live near our parents, who could take care of Noah for us and give us some time to ourselves. Maybe someday we'll be back close to them again! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing distressing about our life here. We are blessed. But I still envy those with grandparents close by. And I am sad for Noah, that he is not growing up with them. As a child, I frequently visited my grandparents and they took care of me when my parents needed help. I have so many fond memories growing up with them. But I digress.

I think this has been spurred on by some of friends recent return from vacationing in Aruba. Jeremy keeps moaning about going on a cruise and that maybe Noah should be an only child. :)

Maybe I'll just have another piece of chocolate...

5 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

i sometimes envy friends w/o any family around....it seems that they are so gifted at making deep rooted friendships....i imagine you and jeremy are doing just that!!!

sunny spring is around the corner!

love the paint color!

Sarah said...

I feel the same way Amy. Sometimes it just rips your heart out.
Yeah, that's all I'm gonna say, I wish we could move closer to family.

Alli said...

Love the new color. And I applaud your idea for a getaway. We just booked a trip to Aruba for May!

Jon Wendy and Madison said...

We leave for Hawaii in 10 days for our island getaway.

As for only children...I am one and Madison is one....it has its ups and downs; however do not let anyone tell you that it is "BAD". I think only children make friends easier and stay closer to their friends because they do not have to be best friends with their sister/brother. My sister-in-law has children that are 14 months apart and I (nor she) would not recommend that for ANYONE, she has been exhausted for 4 years and would also not advise that for anyone.

Jon Wendy and Madison said...

I thought of somewhere else you could go...Bermuda. Since its off the North Carolina coast I bet you could get good deals on flights from DC or Charlotte. Jon's parents went there and LOVED it!!!