Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mad Mommy Moments

I think I need to start a series of posts with the aforementioned title.

Today's Mad Mommy Moment (brought to you by the harebrained Amy Barclay and son Noah): Tuesdays with Fran.

Today I was invited by my new friends to go to Carnegie Hall in downtown Lewisburg at noon to hear a lady play piano.

We started off the day great since I had to wake Noah up at 7:10am! Yay! Except that maybe this threw him off somehow because it turned out to be one of those rotten, "no nap" days where its difficult to get him to fall or stay asleep.

To preface our little adventure of the day, Noah was spitting up everything he ate, fussing (tummy trouble I think), clawing at my face, digging his nails into my skin, and yanking my hair. I spend 30 minutes getting him down for his morning nap, which lasts only 20 minutes. Because of all this, I decide not to meet my friends for lunch because we cannot possibly arrive on time and in two complete pieces. I finally get us ready and out the door. No time to grab my bag lunch.

I drive downtown, and thinking that I am a smart Texas driver, decide to turn the empty parking spaces on the corner into my own personal turning lane. The problem was that so did two other cars in front of me. Oh wait. No. They aren't using my turning lane. They are parking in these spaces in front of me. After I finally get out of the little traffic jam I have created, we arrive at Carnegie Hall and dash inside, just in time. (Really, can I ever just be on time for something? Khristina will never invite me anywhere again since I am late everytime!)

I have to stop and mention that piano-playing Fran is a very small, hobbit-like, possibly Jewish woman with lots of wild, gray hair. She was dwarfed by the piano. She explained the history of each piece she played. Fran was accompanied by an elderly couple dancing the tango. Seriously. It was oddly cute.

As soon as we sit down, I realize that Noah has "dropped a deuce" as we like to say in the Barclay household. I decide to wait since its only a 30 minute program. However, after 15 minutes I can't stand the embarrassing smell anymore and look for a place to change him. There are no places to change a baby in Carnegie Hall. Go figure. I head to the car, only to discover I am out of wipes and will have to wait to until I get home.

Top it all off with a hungry, overtired baby who screams while I try to clean up his poop, make his lunch, and get him down for an afternoon nap that only lasts about 40 minutes. Right now, I am laughing at him laying on his tummy, chuckling and grunting, and he tries to figure out how to swim toward the balls in the distance that he cannot reach. It doesn't help that he is somehow managing to go backward.

You win some, you lose some.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You just recreated one of my days. NOTHING can go right sometimes. Thankfully they don't happen everyday.

Tina said...

I love how at the end, you are still smiling while you watch him play, because even though nothing goes your way and part of that reason is because of them, they still make you smile :)

Brooke said...

We have totally had days like that! Hang in there b/c right around the corner will be a day when everything goes RIGHT!