Sunday, May 1, 2011

Progress Report

Noah has decided that he does not want a sibling. More realistically, I think I decided that early one morning last week. :)

We are 2 weeks and 1 day into giving up the paci and I have to say that things are not better. What, at 2 years old, does it take 28 days to break an addiction? Because I think that is all I am going to be able to give to this project before I break down and buy another paci. Then he can sleep with it till he's 20 for all I will care! that particular morning, he woke up at 3:00am, and after over an hour, we could not find anything wrong with him, so we just left him in bed and he screamed until 6:00, when I had to get up for work. Yes, we turned off the monitor and closed all the doors, and I could still hear him across the house.

We got past nearly 2 weeks of diarrhea, and a couple of days of fever. Since then, I have spent the week basically starting all over with sleep training like we did at around 9 months, except that it isn't taking quite effectively this time. There is only so much screaming a person can take. I am feeling irrationally angry and frustrated half the time, and so is Noah, as evidenced by his foul moods, whining, and shreiking when he's not in bed. Most days, he is waking up early every morning, taking a short or no nap, and taking his time falling asleep at night. He is sleeping around 2-3 hours less now some days, which makes for a very grumpy boy who is not fun to be around.

I guess you should either take away the paci by the first birthday so they will forget more quickly or just wait until they are closer to 4 and more able to rationalize the loss.

Hopefully, things are going to get back to normal one day soon. Until then, Mommy needs a child-free vacation! Oh wait, nobody else will volunteer to listen to him scream either. ;)

3 comments:

The Nutt House said...

I'm starting to really be glad that we took Rylie's paci away at 3 months old. I struggled with the decision at the time...now i'm glad we did it. Hang in there girl, this too shall pass. Child-free vacation? Just say the word and we can make it happen! Weekend in Eureka Springs at a day spa? Haven't done that in a very long while. Ya? Ya? You in? Jeremy...please send your wife to Tulsa, we have a road trip to go on!!! Love ya! Stacie

Sarah said...

Aww, this breaks my heart for both of you. I hope it does get better and it makes me thankful that Ava never wanted a paci...by the way I still have a thumb sucker who I can't get to quit :(

Alli said...

I don't know that I have any wisdom to pass along, but hang in there! You can do it!