Thursday, December 2, 2010

New York, New York! [Day 3]

Have I mentioned that I love, love, LOVE New York?! Because I do. Seriously, this was the most fun trip to the coolest city ever. I have read books, watched movies, and seen it on TV but you really can't experience New York like that. The smell of nuts roasting and sewer wafting up through the grates, the roar of the subway, the honks of frustrated drivers, the hair-raising, shut-your-eyes cab rides, and the walking through masses of people. I think the city could feel very claustrophobic after a short amount of time. And pretty lonely considering how many people you are surrounded by.

We started Monday off by heading up to Rockefeller Center to check out the Today Show. I have literally been watching this show every morning since I was about 5 years old, if I had to guess. At 30, I am a huge fan. However, Jeremy read that you need to be there no later than 6:00am to get into the plaza. We were already wearing out by this point so I agreed to sleep in and head down there around 8:30 instead. I wish I had just gotten up and gone! We did get to stand outside the window of the studio where all the goofy people stand and wave and watch a little bit of happenings on the inside though. Next trip, I am totally there, holding my sign, cheesing and waving for the cameras.

You can see the Christmas tree in the background a bit.
Covered with scaffolding, being prepared for the tree lighting.

Bad picture, but you can see Natalie Morales at the newsdesk! The studio is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Bruno Mars was performing on the plaza.

Lenny! I don't know the story behind this guy, only that he is there everyday for the show! Jeremy shook his hand and talked to him for a minute.

Closest thing I got to having my picture made with these guys.

We went the the 2nd floor of the Nintendo store so we could get a better view of the plaza.

After they cleared everyone out and allowed people to pass through the plaza.

The skating rink.

Pretty sure this is St. Patrick's cathedral. Unfortunately, our pictures from the inside didn't turn out so well. Beautiful though!
Ah, a New York bagel from a deli we stopped at for breakfast. with cream cheese and egg. Best. breakfast. ever.

Next, we walked all the way down 5th ave to Central Park. Beautiful, peaceful place in the midst of the concrete jungle. Loved it.
Alice in Wonderland statue.

We were pleasantly surprised that there were still some leaves on the trees. Remember this bridge from, like 100 movies?



:)

Lunch at Serendipity 3! It was decorated beautifully. You know the movie Serendipity from 2001? It was filmed here. I'm about to re-watch it. Jeremy endured this place for my sake.
The reason we came: frozen hot chocolate. Oh yes. It was delightful.
We spent the afternoon shopping on 5th Avenue!! :) We went in Bloomingdale's, Tiffany's, and FAO Schwarz. I bought a few things for Noah in the toy store and had to go in Tiffany's just to say I'd been. Remember, when Reese Witherspoon gets to "pick one" in Sweet Home Alabama? Well, it wasn't exactly like that for me, but they did have a tiffany blue carper rolled out on the sidewalk to welcome me. ;)
We ended up back in Little Italy, craving some more Italian, that night. Sofia's Ristorante.
With my new phone that was great help to us on the trip thanks to its Google Maps feature. Love my Droid 2 now!


We needed to make one last Macy's run for some surprises! And, surprise, they were getting ready for Thursday's parade! Here they are laying the big green square that everyone performs on in front of Macy's. Maybe someday I will get to watch the parade in person.
The windows are decorated with scenes from Miracle on 34th Street.
One last stroll through Times Square.
The next morning we drug ourselves out for one last New York breakfast and headed for JFK. I have never walked so much in my life or been so sore from just walking. Well, walking fast as Jeremy drug me by the hand through the town. There were times we could have fit in an extra activity but the thought of putting one more foot in front of the other was killer.
We were super thankful that Jeremy's parents were willing to keep Noah for us while we were gone. We kept realizing how hard it would be tote him around him around the city.
We are already making plans to go back next December with the Nutts! I have to see a Broadway show and really do the Today show. And definitely have more Crumbs cupcakes. And more of everything else. I really do love New York.
I can hardly wait.

3 comments:

T. Flo Photography said...

I LOVE NYC as well :) We took the girls and they LOVED it just as much!! I'm with you...someday I'll watch the parade in person as well! Glad you loved it so much!!

The Nutt House said...

Girl...when the "BarNutts Take On NYC" (yes, there will be t-shirts made) we will do it all. Wake up early, stay out late, we will DO...IT...ALL!! And then some!

Sarah said...

This all looks like so much fun and now I am plotting ways we could possibly go without taking the munchkins! The pictures were all so fun to see.