Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Grace

This past weekend marked our dear friend Stacie's 40th birthday and my sweet husband was so generous to send me to help celebrate while he did full-time daddy duty with Noah over a long weekend! We were busy shopping, getting manis and pedis, and celebrating with a birthday dinner. So fun and relaxing amidst the hustling and bustling I've been doing all month!


Besides the usual frantic shopping (I don't know why I always wait until after Thanksgiving to start. I guess I have to get in the mood first.), decorating, etc, things picked up at work again, so I picked up shifts almost every day of the week, and had a couple of Christmas parties to attend.


I also decided to start a new tradition this year. We invited everyone we knew to a party at our house and asked them all to bring donations for a great cause: Christmas gifts from Bath & Body Works to be donated to the teen moms who are a part of the Young Lives program, an off-shoot of Young Life. We needed to collect enough to serve an estimated 40-50 teen moms. We had some sweet friends who gave generously and were so kind as to grace our party. Kelly, of course, helped me do everything and I couldn't have pulled it off without her. I spent 3 days cleaning house and baking. It really never crossed my mind that we wouldn't collect at least most of the amount needed. Before the party on Sunday, I prayed that God would multiply lotion, shower gel, and lip gloss just as he once multiplied loaves and fish. :)


And you know what? He didn't. We came nowhere near my lofty goal. I was completely deflated. By the time I was on my way to my Moms group Christmas party, where the other ladies had generously offered to help me wrap these hoardes of gifts I was collecting, my attitude was flat out bad. I was done. I decided that nothing could possibly rectify my mess and that Young Lives would have to take my meager offering and just do some door prizes. But, the party was great anyway. And, as we were winding down at 10:00 that night, the other ladies gathered around me and divided up the work. They decided that one full size product per teen mom would be perfectly fine. Kate offered to make a few returns so we could squeeze out a few more tubes in matching sizes. Shelley offered to go purchase the amount of products still needed and deliver them all to the Young Lives party the following evening. Everyone wrapped. Katrina and Jackie spoke words of encouragement and soothed my wounded spirit. And, Jackie even laughed at my grandiose planning that got me into this mess in the first place. We also learned that we were only shooting to serve 35 girls, not 50.


The next night I learned that the teen moms were so excited just to receive a gift for Christmas this year. I honestly expected them to complain, be annoyed, be indifferent, anything but grateful. And, just like that, He did it. Just like the fish and loaves.


Forget the teen moms that I sought to "serve" this season. Because I was, hands down, the one who gained the most from this experience. His grace was so strong and deep and clearly evident. And I have been privileged to join the most beautiful, amazing group of women, who simply drew me in and wrapped their arms around my shoulder over the past 6 months.


However, next year, maybe we'll just stick to the Angel Tree! ;)

No comments: