Monday, May 3, 2010

MayDay, MayDay!

Oh thank goodness, May arrived this weekend! She brought more of those summer-like temperatures with her, and I am taking advantage! It's so weird that we still need heaters and blanket sleepers during some of our spring nights around here.

For more than one reason, I am excited to get the all-clear signal saying we don't have to worry about those overnight frosts and freezes anymore: I intend to become a gardening extraordinaire. :) Last week I bought rosemary and some supplies at a local nursery and was referred to the local farmers market in downtown Lewisburg to buy my vegetables. On Saturday morning, the three of us trooped downtown to buy more. The farmers market was neat but quite the hippie gathering. I'm pretty sure some of the merchants also grow a little extra green on the side, if ya know what I mean. Anyway, I bought parsley and cilantro, and 12 little broccoli seedlings. I guess I am going to have one whole bed devoted to broccoli since I didn't realize how much space they would take after I needed to spread them out. I'm pretty sure I have some surprise strawberry plants popping up out there too! I can't wait until I can plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, and some other things. Probably end of the month they say. Also at the FM, I bought the biggest pieces of asparagus I have ever seen! Can't wait to try them. I wanted to buy some of the plants as well, but they take two years before they really produce anything for you, and that kind of timeframe doesn't work well for Barclays, who have trouble staying in one place long enough to make it worth it!
This is the first half of my broccoli.


Here is my collection of herbs, along with my kind of sad snapdragons. Hopefully they will better with some fresh dirt and a pretty new pot. :)




There is something so soothing to me about re-potting plants. Not sure what it is.

Jeremy continued the never-ending babyproofing projects. And a little someone got to have some fun too! Here is Noah with his new swing that Mamaw and Papaw got him for his birthday. Daddy finally was able to rig it in a tree in the backyard. Although it swings a bit crooked, Noah doesn't know the difference. :)







In other news, we are officially bottle-free as of last week! I was a little sentimental about giving him the last one but he has not seemed to miss it at all. We are pretty lucky with him in that regard; he does not really attach to objects. He has toys that are his favorites, will always take a pacifier if offered, but does not get upset if we take things away. In fact, Noah loves to take out his paci when I tell him, "Throw it back!" and toss it into his crib. (We only use pacifiers for sleeptime now.) I have three rubber spout cups that he uses, two different kinds now. Progress!

We tend to be seriously lazy on our weekends at home, mostly laying on the couch and watching TV or taking naps while Noah naps. I think we're both drained after the work week. I am determined to get more energy and get more done! The weeding that needs to be done is outrageous. Of course, Jeremy has to work late every night this week, so more energy may not happen yet!

Have a great one!

No comments: