Monday, October 1, 2012

An Hourly Cry

Loved this post by my friend, Meghan.  I love her and her sweet children.  Had to share.  It rings so true with my soul.




When the day’s plans fall to the wayside and I roam lost not knowing what to do with my children.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
On the days when I wake up ready to tackle all that’s in store, and on the days when I breath a deep sigh, slightly anxious and weary to answer to the name, “Momma.”
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When the slightest correction suddenly turns a little boy upside down and twisted up all on the insides, spiraling down an irrecoverable and ginormous meltdown that lasts twenty minutes.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
For the times that I remain calm. For the times I think I’m on the verge of screaming at my child when his fit is not retractable. For the times the screams leave my mouth and the ringing of my hands in fury leave me and the child soul-mangled.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When there are the sweet hugs and goober kisses.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When the peanut butter, honey and yogurt hands meet the fridge. The table. Her face. Her hair. My clean shirt.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
On day number five of 103 degree fevers when all I want to do is snuggle with her. But there’s a boy who bounces in between our walls. And as the day’s fun plans fall brittle to the floor I moan because I don’t know what to do with him.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
The moments when the brother-sister love oozes. And when the need to separate the car seats even further becomes reality.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
On those days, those every days, that my insides are torn between the something else’s I’d rather be doing, but knowing I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When the words spew out like poison to Matt, and when my own heart is pierced by his frailty, too.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
That friend’s text. How could she have known that’s just what I needed?
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
Recognizing that untruth quickly spoken in front of my child and passing up the moment to correct it. The hard knock of telling him that Momma lied, and bending low to show him I need to make it right.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
On the days when the little helpers aren’t helping.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
Memory-making moments of beater and spoon licking deliciousness.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When loved ones are pummeled by life. And when, after years, I see on my friend’s face the blanket of despair removed to reveal a lightened, brightened countenance.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
On the days I wish my body and my self-discipline were oh, so different. The wishes I were different for her, the one born of me.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
For the moments I lose my breath and choke on fear of all that may come my children’s ways. And for the times, the any times at any place I can escape to the throne of God on behalf of those children who are ultimately His.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
When I’m tempted to compete instead of cooperate.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
Ten years of marriage. With all of its joys and struggles, we’re still standing.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
For the days of rhythm. And the days of chaos.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee
For each and every day. And the hours in between.
  

I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR
By Annie Hawks
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

No comments: